chatgarou

Books etc.

pretty much all kind of books, stories, whatever
Duplicate Keys - Jane Smiley A lesson for me to write a review while it's still hot :( I was finishing the book sitting at Museumplein, being blown by unbelievably relentless wind, not budging because at least it was sunny there and I was just a couple of pages more from closing the book. My hair was completely tangled and my heart cried out every few seconds, "I'm Alice! This is me she's writing about! Yes, that's how I felt that time too!". Obviously my brain was smarter than the rest of my body and hid itself somewhere warm. Anyway, by the time I finished reading I had to go away before exposing myself further to pneumonia, don't talk about 3G, never had them, the hotel had wi-fi but i'll be damned if I will pour my heart in a review by the teeny tiny iphone virtual keyboard. So the review was delayed until now. The problem is, eventhough I can still feel the excitement during the reading I can't really articulate how or why it came about...Anyway, I was introduced to Jane Smiley by BBC WBC for her other book, A Thousand Acres which I haven't even touched though it was sitting in my shelf for quite some time. Instead I read her Thirteen Ways of Looking at the Novel on the beginning of my journey and was slugging through the beginning of the hundred novels before deciding that I need to read a novel instead of reading about it. Through the process of eeny-meeny-miny-mou I landed with this book and was pleasantly surprised. Reading her essay I was thinking that this is one hell of a structured writer. Someone who plan and think about where the story will go, unlike William Maxwell on his The Old Man at the Railroad Crossing: And Other Tales which I completely adored. So I thought it will be a bit dry and formal, but it was not so. Looks like structure doesn't exist in the exclusion of feeling. Like I said I was emphatizing so much with Alice. I guess there's no new feeling in the world, if you've felt it, then you can be sure that thousands of other people have felt it as well and a couple of them have the ability to write about it that made you realize that you're not alone. In more general note, this is not a standard mistery/detective story. Though there's the general whodunnit throughout the book the focus is more on the characters and how a crime shattered the group relationships. At the very least it opens Alice's eyes about it, I'm not sure how the others view the each other even before the murder. Not much surprises or thrill inside just sudden realisation. I'm not sure if I found Alice's reaction completely believable, but still a decent book and made me want to read her other books. See how dry this review is??? This is not what I wanted to write in the first plac *sulk*